Friday, December 20, 2013

Samosas- More Nepali Cooking- Updated with Pictures!

Update: I made these again and made a huge batch so I could freeze some wraps and filling for another day. And I took some pictures! I still don't know exact measurements because I was doing this by myself- just looking at how much seasoning to put in. 

Yummy.

Now I know why my belly is bigger! I can't believe I just figured it out. Hello! It's because of all the good food I am being introduced to. I am serious. You eat and you never know when you are full because your taste buds keep begging for more.

Well Sushila and I were in the kitchen cooking again- this is becoming a little bit of a tradition once a week we get together and just cook. It's usually because she lets me sample something she makes and then I have to make it and I start but then have no idea how to actually put it all together so I call her and explain what I am trying to do, ask if she is busy, then she comes over to help me. I lovvvve learning how to make her food.
It's funny how a meal can take 3 hours to prepare and she just brushes it off saying, "It's fun! So simple! And delicious!" This lady really likes to cook. I am starting to really like it too- three hours is still a little much for me but it's a good thing meals like this take so long or else I have a feeling you would get really fat really fast.
So we started at 4ish and ended were eating around 7. It's fun though if you are cooking with someone so maybe a good date night dinner to make together or with a friend- or a special occasion.

I have no idea what the measurements are but I'm just going to scribble some notes down so I can have this to refer to in the future.


Samosas

Filling:

5-7 cooked potatoes
10 oz thawed frozen peas
1 onion
6 cloves of minced garlic
1-2 tsp cumin/coriander mixed spices
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
cilantro





Fry onion and garlic- then add peas and spices with turmeric.
Add potatoes cut up small or mashed with hands (how Sushila does it) then add cilantro to mix





For the dough:


  • 2 tsp or Tbsp gi (cooked unsalted butter- um have you ever tried this? It has the BEST flavor- it's like candy- you just cook butter until it browns and smells like caramel and pour out the top stuff to eat because you will end up with par of it looking burned but it sinks to the bottom and you just throw that out)
  • flour (2ish cups?)

Keep covered so dough doesn't dry out

  • water (enough to make dough soft and pliable- but not sticky...maybe around 1/2 cup? 1 cup? I have no idea).
  • Salt to taste...maybe 1 tsp.


Mix gi and flour really well with salt- then add flour slowly mixing with hands and kneading after each addition in bowl.



Achar (dipping sauce):
3-5 tomatoes chopped roughly into 8ths or something somewhat smaller chunks
5ish cloves of garlic cut roughly small
salt (1 tsp?- I don't know the one I made last night needed more salt (says Sushila) and I think I only did 1/2 tsp)
 and cumin/coriander mix- 2 tsp? (again mine didn't have enough spices in it and I thought I put a good amount in....)
1/2 onion chopped roughly

Cook onion and garlic- then add tomatoes and fry for about 10 minutes. Add spices and salt.
Put mixture in blender and blend until smooth.

Put it all together:
Roll dough out into small circles. About the size of your fist.
1)
I add water to my fingers to make dough pliable

2)
Smash in hand and swipe flour on front and back while flattening
4)
Cut down the center with sharp knife

3)
Roll out to about 8 inches diameter










Wet finger with water and put on straight edge.
Fold dough over and press together to make a cone.

Hold cone upright

Put about a tablespoon or a little more leaving space at the top to close shell.


Wet finger and go along top edge. Take middle of front of cone and pinch and press onto the back where the seam is. Then press dough together on the top making sure it is sealed tightly for cooking process.




Cook:
Submerge in hot oil and cook maybe 3 minutes on each side.


Dip into achar and mwah!!! So yummy!!!!

4 comments:

  1. yes, please post some pictures... I am dying reading this and not knowing what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, how about I'll just make you some when you guys come to visit! When are you coming by the way? You should come soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Soon I hope... December is a crazy month and my cousin is getting married in January.... maybe at the endish of January? Like President's day weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, we'll look forward to that! We could do a little birthday celebration for Jay (his birthday is the 29th) with you guys or something! He would love that.

      Delete