Sunday, December 29, 2013

Grant's Sleeping Notes

I feel like I should have recorded a little bit more about sleep tactics and routines up to this point and I don't know if I really have kept track very well. I'd like to reference these details later to change or use some of them for the next children.

So I'll just start now- G is 19 months:

1. He needs 7-8 hours after his nap to wind down for bed. If I try to put him to bed before then, it's a battle that I always lose because he gets too upset and won't calm down, even if I stay in there for an hour or more- he refuses to sleep. I've learned that if he isn't going to go to sleep that we should at least make it fun so we will go out of the bedroom and I'll do my thing or the other night we all watched 1/2 hour of The Lorax and then tried bedtime again.

2. He uses "hungry" as his way to escape bedtime. So we try to offer a snack before bed- something I know he will eat (rice or banana and some milk) then bring a sippy cup to bed with us to if he says he needs water, we have it right there.

3. He is getting more upset about having to go to bed so we are now, instead of calming, soothing voices or songs- I have to catch his attention and make him think going to bed is fun. We bring Beary and Bambi and read stories, sing songs and have "mama milk". It's been working better. But now that Jay gets home around 9 ish (most of the time G is just winding down) he wants all of us in bed or he wants to be out with whoever is not in bed so I know something should change here- getting him to bed before dad comes home so Jay can study during that time. I know I'm going to really like using him though once the baby comes so we can tag team bedtime.

4. He is still in our bed so I'm a little torn on what to do at this point. I would like to keep nursing him (I only have colostrum at this point) but if he wants comfort in the night I would love to continue our nursing relationship but....the baby is coming very soon. I think baby might have to start on the baby mattress next to our bed and I'll sleep on that edge of the bed so I can get the baby easily to nurse and have G on the other side? Or maybe we'll attempt again to get G in his own bed. I actually like that idea more because I could still let him nurse, but then he has to go back to his bed to sleep....hmmm....maybe it could work...I guess it's at least worth a try.

5. We always clean up toys before bed as part of our routine, then bath, snack, brush teeth and say goodnight to the house and read 3 stories- I am trying to do a certain number of books so we don't drag it out for an hour.

6. He doesn't always sleep through the night but he is getting better at it. Usually he still wakes up 1 or 2 times to make sure we are there or have comfort. Sometimes I can reassure him with my touch- just reaching out and putting my hand on his arm but most of the time he still wants to nurse for comfort.


No comments:

Post a Comment