Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Making MoMo's from Nepal

Have I told you about our Nepali friends? 
Ramsy was here for 2 years doing school and finally got a scholarship so he could afford to bring his wife and son out here while he finishes his doctorates.  They are so excited to see the snow.
Sushila- I finally remember her name because Jay finally said he remembers using "sushi"...oh...so easy now. She is just barely learning English.
Srijan is their little boy and he is 10. He knows English really well because of school.

Sushila has been coming over for the last month and practicing English with me. I am surprised at how well I know her now with so little communication but I feel I really do know her and her heart and she is the most wonderful human being.

So one day she surpises me with this dish called "mo mo's" because I had asked her about her food from Nepal and what it tastes like.

Okay this is the BEST dish in the entire world. 

 I JUST HAD to know how a human being could make something so divine.  

She told me in broken English that she could teach me if I come over to her home. She warned me it takes a long time to make....No problem- it will be worth it of course! I must know.

We started at 2 o'clock 
chopping, 
chopping, 
chopping 
and making the dough and tomato achar (the dipping sauce that's like a soup) from scratch. Mixing and seasoning and then finally cooking (steaming). 

We were finally eating around 6:15 and I took the kid home around 7pm to go to sleep while she kept cooking. 

She makes everything from scratch and the flavor is so....is there even a word? 
So....MWAH! 

Yes, I cannot describe it, it just is incredible and I would eat mo mo's everyday. I think when you eat them your body doesn't tell you when you are full because your taste buds send a message that they will shoot the "full receptors" in the belly if they dare interrupt such perfect dancing in the mouth. It is a party for the taste buds and really I don't know when I am full because they just are so darn good. 

So Sushila doesn't follow a recipe, she just knows how to make them so I took notes and I will write it down once I try it at least once to see if I got it right. 

We had some fun through the hard work and I enjoy these people so much. I will tell you all about them. They are so humble and good and full of love and have nothing yet everything to give. They are so happy.  I wish you could meet them, I know you would be better for it.


Srijan told Grant to say, "Cheese!" Good one huh? Except Jay just said this looks like a missing child photo...I don't know if I like it as much now...
Chopping on the floor. They don't have a table or chairs.

I had to convince her that her smile was great with her braces- so finally! So beautiful! Isn't her smile so full of love? You can just see it.
He calls her "mama" which I think just means he trusts her to take care of him. I know he can't say Sushila so we now call her "La la". 


Srijan is 10 and the happiest, cutest boy. We've adopted him as Grant's big brother.

Grant wouldn't smile for me, even when I said "Say cheese!" nope. nothing.

Last attempt to get a smile. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment