Here are some interesting things about our new little girl:
1. She sleeps at night. *cross fingers this doesn't change* but this is AWESOME! Nurses maybe 2 or 3 times at night. She cluster feeds before bed and when she wakes up so I think she makes up for it- so cool. The only reason I am possibly sleep deprived is from my own stupidity staying up 'til 2 in the morning- really? I feel invincible since she sleeps so well- bad idea- it's catching up with me. I'll start getting smart- really.
2. She always has her hands by her face. So sweet. So cute. Always curled up by her cheeks or mouth or holding on to my shirt when I have her wrapped up. It just makes you feel like she's reaching out and feels comforted just knowing something is there to hold on to.
3. She is definitely comforted by my smell. I love it. I love wrapping her up in a little ball on my chest and carrying her around with me as I help Grant, eat, whatever it is. I just need more back muscles is all- something I am for sure planning on strengthening so I can have better posture/ hold baby without aching.
4. I have had almost every person we encounter who is around Esther for more than 10 minutes comment to me about something:
Smiling.
"I know babies aren't supposed to smile yet...but I am pretty sure she just smiled for me/at me/because of something I did". That is what people say. I remember with Grant, I always said that- "Look, he's smiling!!!!" And people would shoot it down saying it was gas or something. But with Esther it is different. She responds. Her smile isn't random. It is because someone just talked to her or sang to her. I know it is and it's amazing that other people recognize that as well.
5. Her eyes look blue- so blue- just like Daddy's. I know this can change but I also know Grant's eyes never looked like this- this blue. They are beautiful eyes.
6. She is just a calm baby- I hardly ever hear her cry- she did yesterday because I was in the shower and she had to burp I think as I was washing my hair and her cry was so weird to hear- it made me realize I really don't hear it- "so that's what it sounds like" I thought as I listened. She's just so calm and content about life- even when I EAT CHOCOLATE!!! Which I've been going on a chocolate kick because every cell in my body is celebrating/reveling in the fact that I can eat chocolate and part of me is wondering if it will last or if I'll have to quit in a few weeks or what so there is chocolate every single day as part of my diet.
7. It looks like her skin is like Grant's: that olive color! So beautiful. So lucky. I always wanted skin like that- those lucky little kids.
8. She makes monkey noises. I don't remember Grant doing "Oooo ooo ooo" noises. And she sounds like a little puppy a lot of the time- which I think is normal for a baby- you just forget all the weird cute funny noises they make.
9. Something else I forgot: newborns are EASY Peasy lemon squeezy. Really. Compared to a 2 year old? My goodness and especially because I "know" what I'm doing now- everything isn't brand new to me anymore but really- they mostly just sleep.
10. This is more about me but I feel like I know so much more now and can recognize little things I had no clue about with Grant. I know when she needs to burp or have a diaper change and when she is hungry. It's so nice to know these things and to be better about planning when to leave the house- it does take more planning (nursed? check. diaper changed? check. wrap up? check. change G's diaper? check. snack for G? check. shoes and sweater on for G? etc.) It takes longer to get ready to go but that's okay.
Well, we've spent a week away from home just about and I'm just about ready to just go home and start learning how to do it all there. I'm just ready to get a routine down and now the park is open that is right outside our door practically and the weather is nice so Grant can go play outside (more accurately: I feel like going outside) and just kind of getting back to real life.
No comments:
Post a Comment