Okay, now for the story:
Jay and I were going for our usual walk now that the weather is nice and happened upon a crosswalk on Canyon Road. Today there was a higher volume of traffic so we sat there and waited for cars to either clear or stop-neither of which happened for at least 3 minutes. We waited until it was perfectly clear on both sides to start crossing, and just as we started across, another car had pulled up to the stop sign turning left onto Canyon Road.
I didn't think she wouldn't see me- most people these days see me because I'm huge! Plus, Jay was there too- there was two people, one a little rounder so of course she saw us! I would have reacted faster- I would made some sort of escape plan if only I knew.
The only thought that crossed my mind as she pulled out onto the road was, "She's getting a head start so that she is on the road in case cars do start coming soon."
She began speeding up though as she pulled out- Jay later told me he thought it was someone playing a joke on us- you know "pretend" run you over stuff because they knew us or something.
When I realized she didn't see us and she was speeding up instead of slowing down I knew it was too late to really do anything. I just couldn't believe she didn't see me. I was looking right at her face as the car closed in. I could see the front bumper coming up on me- I don't know when that image will ever get out of my mind- the car coming at me- the woman who couldn't see me- the tires turning faster.
I braced myself- still not comprehending how she couldn't see me right there. I stretched my arms out so the car wouldn't hit my legs and I think it was that instant that she saw me. She pushed on the breaks as the car hit my outstretched arms. I was pushed to the asphalt and fell on my side.
My first thought was my baby-Jay ran to my side and we quickly went off to the side of the road. That was a scene because by then there were a bunch of cars showing up and everyone was stopping and asking if I was alright- Yes, I'm fine! What about my baby?!!! I have a scratch! Then I started bawling hysterically I think because I saw what could have happened if the lady hadn't pushed on her breaks when she did. And all I could think about was my baby- I couldn't think because that's all I cared about.
We did end up reporting the incident- maybe it will help make the crosswalk safer? I actually don't know what to do in a situation like that- I've never thought about it. But since we were reporting it, the old lady that hit me kept asking us things like, "What is the purpose of this? Are you going to try to sue me?" I felt bad for her- sad that that was her first thought- that she was more concerned about us trying to get money from her than she was showing her concern for me and my baby. Honestly I am sure she is a good person and cares about our lives but the way she reacted made me realize what a crazy world we live in where people really do try to take advantage of a situation. All I really care about is that my baby is okay and that she learned to be more careful and if her license does need to be taken away, that she understands it is to keep others safe. I know that must be such a hard thing to give up- being independent. But it's that or someone's life.
I don't really want to dwell on it or think about what could have happened because right now I am so grateful. Grateful I can still feel the little guy kickin' and that there are no broken bones or anything. Grateful that the little old lady doesn't have to live with anything other than worrying if we are possibly going to sue her.
We ended up calling the midwives who told us to go to the hospital and be monitored for a little while just to be sure. They asked me a bunch of questions, all of which were easily answered that nothing seemed to be wrong- just a sore hip and some scratches. The baby's heartbeat was jagged, which they said was perfect-exactly what they like to see and he was moving around like crazy.
When something like this happens to you it really does make you sit and think about how precious life is. It could be gone in an instant. What really matters in life and did you do everything you could? Are you living life to the fullest? Do I really show how grateful I am to my family and friends? Do I really try to serve others and make their lives better or am I just living for me? Also, it has made me reflect on what kind of driver I am and how you really should be so careful. I know I have been distracted before by turning a station on the radio or the phone- yah you only look down for two seconds- but two seconds could be someone's life.
Someone was there watching out for us- maybe we needed this experience to really understand that you can't control everything in your life- that life is precious and to be grateful everyday and to make the most out of everyday. I really hope I can do that because I have such a great life and an awesome family who I love dearly and great neighbors and friends. I am so thankful for all of you in my life, even on this little blog- reading your stories and sharing feelings on whatever- I love it and am thankful!
Jay's idea is what a great story the little guy is going to have to tell about before he was born! He's going to be in his kindergarten class and say, "My mom was hit by a car before I was born!" and all the kids will look at him in awe. It sounds a little more epic than it was.
P.S. Actually I have a pretty good one when I was in my mama's belly:
I was chased by a moose! I should get the details on this again because that's all I really know- that my mom was chased and she hid behind a tree or something and everyone was fine afterwards.
Aubrey, I drove by when you were out on the corner and talked to Amanda. I didn't want to get out and add to the people surrounding you, but I was so glad to hear that you were ok. What a SCARY thing! I am just so thankful things turned out ok. :)
ReplyDeleteI know- I just wanted to set the record straight because it was kind of in the middle of everything and I'm sure people saw us and wondered. Thanks! I am so thankful too!
ReplyDelete