Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How to Get Them Veggies

Like eating veggies?
Me either. I hate it. They are so...I don't know....boring? How about gross, slimy, strong tasting, feels like you are eating someone's shoe- let's just put it this way: nobody would eat them if they weren't good for you.

Well, on my quest to be in better shape, healthier and happier I knew I had to eat more of these alien looking foods so I went on an all-veggie cleanse last year (a couple months before I got pregnant so if you are trying to avoid that maybe these drinks aren't for you *wink). It all started when I began researching nutrition and reading all sorts of books and my parents found this movie called, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix- I would recommend watching it- it's amazing to see how vegetables can change someone's life. That just sounded really lame and boring ha ha- but really it is cool, I promise.

Well, they have a program of eating fruits and veggies and drinking pure veggie/fruit juices and nothing else. I did it for 5 days and I actually have been wanting to write about it here on the blog- stay tuned. I have way too detailed notes and everything that you won't want to miss out on.

Today, I am going to share with you my 2 FAVORITE veggie juice recipes that I have tried so far and continue to supplement my normal meals with. Because I have been having such a hard time eating veggies, I figure this is the next best thing and I know I am getting a lot of nutrients from these drinks and they really taste good.

The first one we call the 'Green Drink". Sounds epic I know, but this is actually the first juice the program has you make to get you to think that all veggie drinks will taste alright. 

(You will need a juicer for these)
Green Drink: 
6 leaves of kale
4 stalks of celery
2 cups of spinach
2 apples (I like gala)
1/2'' ginger root (which I leave out most of the time but it is good with it)

My next favorite has beets in it but it is actually quite good and looks so pretty because of those beets:
Sunset Blend:
2 large red beets
1 sweet potato
2 med carrots
1 red bell pepper
2 golden delicious apples
1 orange (optional- but totally recommend)

I think beets have a tendency to taste like dirt but not in this recipe! Really this recipe is sooooo good and the orange I think really helps it have a sweeter taste. 
Each juice probably costs around $5 depending on the kind of deals you can find but it is so worth it and I just use them as a supplement to trying to eat healthy. I love knowing I am putting all these good things in my body and that my baby will benefit from it as well. 

Then I drink a smoothie almost every other day and this is what I usually put in it:

Protein Fruit Veggie Smoothie
1/2 c. greek yogurt
1/2 c. frozen blueberries
1/2 c. frozen strawberries
13 grams whey protein powder
1-2 c. spinach
1 c. almond milk
1 Tbsp. raw honey (if you want it sweeter)

This gives me protein, fruit and veggies! And you don't taste the spinach at all or see the green color because the blueberries make it dark. I love it- I should start experimenting with other ingredients but this one is just really good so I make it a LOT. I actually did make it with kale one time and it wasn't bad. 

I'm going to keep trying new recipes and I'll share the ones I love here. 




2 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipes Aubrey! I love making green smoothies and protein shakes. I make one with pineapple, banana, spinach, greek yogurt, and coconut extract. I'm excited to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K yours sounds so delicious and tropical-great idea coconut! Yum-I'm going to go grocery shopping right now.

    ReplyDelete