Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pioneers must have been really cold

I know you hear stories all the time of the pioneer's trials and hardships.
I guess it just hasn't become real to me until recently as the cold weather has begun to roll in and Jay and I chop firewood to keep us warm at night.

Even the trek didn't make me really sit and think about what it really must have been like for them.

Well, the Bungalow, as you know, isn't fully equipped with today's wonderful conveniences that we like to call necessities- like a bathroom and heater for example. So at 3 o'clock in the morning when you gotta go, it isn't just roll out of bed, stumble to the bathroom 5 feet away.

We are talking get up in the freezing cold (we've gotten better about making good hot fires that last all night so that part isn't so bad) finding some clothes to put on and a coat and shoes and walking outside, crossing the yard to the door to the main house.

Oh wait, how could you forget the key to the house! You knew it was locked and this has happened before; oh yah it's three in the morning and you aren't thinking straight- go back to the Bungalow, grab house key and cross the yard in the freezing cold again. By this time you are pretty much awake and use the restroom and head back outside. Now, fully waking up like this with the freezing cold night chill, you crawl back into bed and you are wide awake.

So this doesn't happen every night but you get the idea. And it just makes me think how easy my life probably still is from the pioneers. I just can't even imagine.
What's going to happen when it snows!?!!! Anybody got any pioneer stories for inspiration? I could possibly be interested in them asap;)



No comments:

Post a Comment