Saturday, October 20, 2012

Epic Fail- Our Family Outing

We planned an awesome hike today.

Jay has been working and working and working. A LOT. I never even see the guy anymore. He's got crazy classes going on including Calc 2 and Physics and he's still working his part-time meter reading job. I don't know how he is doing it. I know he needs a break once in a while and we said that Saturday would be our day to go and do something fun together- as a family! I knew just the thing!!!!


The plan:

Drive to sundance 5-5:30
Start on trail to Stewart Falls 5:30, baby sleeping in the Ergo carrier (he loves to sleep in there).
See beautiful fall trees, enjoy brisk fall air and see beautiful waterfall. 5:30-6:00
Leisurely make our way back to car laughing and frolicking in the bright colored leaves as we take pictures and capture our magical happiness. 6:00-6:30.
Drive back home refreshed and energized with awesome pictures of our day out in the canyon together as a family.

What ended up happening:

Where is it? Oh, we need to google map it. Does that map make sense? There should be signs once we get up there right- okay well it gets dark at 6:45 so we better just go.
Grab bunch of snacks, diapers, jackets, water bottles, etc. Stuff in backpack- great.
Drive to canyon 5-5:30
Get lost...5:30-6:00
Pull over at random cabin parking lot that hopefully nobody comes out of while I feed the baby in the car right in front of a hot tub. 6:00
Frustrated, knowing it's going to be too dark now, we start heading back promising each other we will look next weekend. What a wasted drive.
Baby starts screaming his head off- he should be sleeping right now.
I climb over the seat into the back while Jay stays on the narrow dirt road so I can try to tell the baby nobody was murdered. I soothe and "comfort" baby who only manages to scream louder. He screams and stares at me with eyes saying, "Why are you not helping me? I thought you loved me????!!!"
6:00-6:30 Screaming, teary child, mother with a broken heart that I can't hold him in the car.
6:30 pull over and put take baby out of car-seat  *BURP*. crying stops. shouldn't I know the "burp cry" by now? why didn't I know that he was in pain. guilt for being a horrible mother.
7 pm get home exhausted and overwhelmed. Put way too tired baby down for a nap knowing that going for a nap right now means he won't go to bed at 8 and his sleeping schedule is totally messed up.
Family frustrated. No happy memories, no fun. Plain old tired exhausting, total misery.

EPIC FAIL.


On a good note, because who wants to end on that depressing spell?:


 I can eat chocolate again!!!! I ate a brownie AND some chocolate chip cookies on Friday night and the baby was FINE!!!!  Usually he can't sleep because of the pain his stomach is in but he was completely and totally fine. He actually only woke up twice Friday night to eat and barely ate anything and went right back to sleep. How can I be depressed now?

I can have chocolate again.

Just the word "chocolate" swimming in my thoughts soothes my soul. I feel better already.

Just try it: just say the word "chocolate".

Good right?


No comments:

Post a Comment