Friday, July 27, 2012

Montana

After 10+ hours of driving with a screaming baby in the backseat- stopping to feed and change him every couple hours- we finally arrived in the Big Sky Country, frazzled and tired to the bone. I wondered why it was called "Big Sky"- isn't the sky the same size anywhere you go?

I don't know if I'm ever going to leave. Not only is it beautiful here but I don't know if I can handle another trip like that one.

We unpacked and lazily slumped on the couch- stretching out our tired cramped limbs and letting our numb eardrums rest.
After dinner the baby went to sleep- a deep calm sleep- one that I know he had been waiting for and I for sure had been anxious for him to get. What do you do in Montana when the baby is sleeping as the sun is setting and the air is fresh? A four-wheeler joy ride of course! So as a couple we took off into the evening leaving with our cell phone in case the baby awakened.




The very first thing I noticed was the sun setting. This was no ordinary sunset-usually they last for a mere 30 seconds of brilliance right? Well, this one lasted for 15 minutes at least!!!! We were immersed in it's glory for our entire ride.

Jay whisked me off to show me the land he loves. We followed the dirt trail starting at the back of their property of 80 acres of field. Before we knew it we were being chased by barking dogs who could keep up pretty well even with Jay putting the pedal to the metal. I was scared of the sharp teeth snapping way too close to my legs and usually Jay would have been shaken up by it but he surprised me by laughing it off. He has some kind of confidence about just being in the state- he is different here.

As we passed those dogs and laughed at the thrill of being chased, we turned a corner only to see a breathtaking view of the sunset gleaming through the sprinklers in the vast green and golden fields of the valley. I couldn't help but let my whole body relax and soak in the vibes of this country. There is a slow mellow kind of vibe here where you know people stop and let life in. This beauty you can't help but absorb into every cell of your body.

Leaning into Jay as the wind danced across my face I realized why Montana was the "Big Sky". In big cities, your eyes wander to the structures and architecture and busy people and parties and flashing lights, but here, here there isn't anything to distract you. Your eyes easily follow the fields to the horizon and on into the sky. Everything just flows together and feels as if everything is connected, making the sky "big".

The sky was still on fire with pinks and purples and oranges as we continued on this seemingly mystical night. The magic continued as we went faster, a baby deer with small velvet antlers bounded from out of nowhere and began running along side us. He ran with us for a stretch and stopped. What a thrill!

Then as we continued down the trail, marveling that the deer had run right beside us, an owl swooped down and flew a breath's distance away from us on the same side- we were soaring with the bird for a spell until he swerved off to the side and turned to watch us pass by. I couldn't believe our nature tour this was becoming.

The last thing I expected was to continue on the same speed down the trail and  to glance down the trail about 20 yards and see a bear in the field next to the trail! The bear was keeping pace with us just as the deer and owl had. The sun glistened off and rippled through his thick fur as he pushed beside us. Soon he slowed as we sped by to my relief.

I think I like it here.
Here's a few pictures from the next day when we did another ride on the trail- it became "our thing" to go for a four-wheeler ride every night after the baby went to sleep. Thanks Nicole, Nancy and whoever else helped listen for the babe so we could go out!!!

I wish to never leave

My favorite thing is the sprinklers: the sound and smell of the water is so calming.

So beautiful.
We planned a hike to the falls but Jay and I turned around when we saw some thunder clouds- maybe we'll make it all the way next time.


He was so into it looking everywhere!

What fun in-laws I have.






2 comments:

  1. Wasn't that a nice time? I'm so, so happy we could all be together in Montana.

    Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW BEautiful! I love all your Pictures and It sounds like you guys had alot of fun! Your little guy is sooo Cute!

    ReplyDelete